Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Preparing for Monday's Collector's Show (Post #2)








The inner keep (with the king looking over proceedings from his battlements) and some other shots.
My medieval Russians will be defending the castle, and most early Russian towns and cities were built alongside a river, with rivers playing at least as big a role as roads in the transportation system. (My understanding is that rivers were used more than roads, but I stand to be corrected by someone more knowledgable. Certainly, the early Rus often transported their armies by boat, only disembarking for combat when they were near the scene of the attack).

The river was therefore a vital part of life, and a hub of commercial activity. In the third and fourth pictures, local peasants load their carts with goods from a riverboat docked at the town's jetty. (I LOVE the two houses in this picture - the easiest kitsets I've ever assembled and they look GREAT! I'll be getting a lot more of them for the future. Two different houses in the one kit, so it's very easy to make up a small village, and they fit for any European period from Medieval to late 1800s. I think they would also be okay for American rural settings too up to late 1800s).
I've moved the houses inside the castle for the last picture, which shows what I have built so far. To say I'm real happy with the way the castle is turning out would be an understatement.
Monday's final design will depend on how much table space they give me (the castle is modular, so I can easily change it around) but after the show I'm going to keep working on this and building it into a big "long term" display in my spare bedroom.
I hope you can make it to the show. (See the previous post for details).









No comments:

Post a Comment