Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Preparing For Monday's Collector's Show (Post #1)





Next Monday is the Wells County Historical Society's Collector's Show and once again (our second year) my soldiers and I will be making an appearance.

If I can get it finished, I'm going to show a siege of a medieval castle. Unfortnuately, while I thought of the idea almosta full year ago, I only started work on it last Sunday. Luckily, this is my week of vacation, so I am making some progress.
As you can see from the photos, I've been working on the castle.
I haven't settled on the full final design yet. A lot will depend on what I actually get finished. But this will give you some idea of what you will see at the show.
The three pics with this post focus on the gate house, which is the entry point to the castle, at least from this direction. The sergeant-of-the-gate (standing with one hand raised) will ask anyone approaching the gate to stop and explain their reason for entry, and maybe his assistant will search them. On the walls are archers ready to shoot anyone who tries to force their way in, and above the gate, two figures operate a pot of boiling oil, which they may also pour down on anyone trying to force entry - the burns inflicted when the oil touched skin usually killed! (Yes, two of the archers on the walls are women!)

Don't forget, if you are near Bluffton, Indiana between 5:30 and 8:30 p.m. on Monday, we'll be at the elementary school on East Spring Street. Last year there were well over 30 different collectors with all sorts of hobbies, and this year should be similar. So even if your family members aren't into toy soldiers, they might be interested in some of the other displays.

No comments:

Post a Comment