Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Prussian vs Russians (Post #4)


This time I'm focusing on my Prussian (and Saxon) heavy cavalry.

All these figures are cuirassiers - a full regiment of Prussians on the left, with a lone squadron of (Napoleonic Wars) Saxons on the right. The Saxons wear a (black) metal breastplate to provide extra protection. It wouldn't have been very effective against gun fire, but the main role of the cuirassier was to sit out the bulk of the battle - presumably somewhere safe from gun fire - and charge in at the decisive moment and hammer a hole that had opened up in the enemy line, hopefully to the point that the damage scattered the enemy. Against swords and bayonets, this breastplate would have been effective.

This was actually the first battle for my Saxons, and they performed very well.

After this defeat, the Russians sued for peace, but the Prussians don't appear likely to accept, so it looks as though I'll be preparing for a third clash between the two over the next week or so. It could be a busy time for me as my Austrians have also decided to go to war with my French, so I have at least one battle their to arrange. I had been hoping to give my Hittites and New Kingdom Egyptians a run but that might have to be pushed back a bit.

Then, of course, I still have all those other figures still waiting to be painted....aaaarrrrgggghhhh. I need more free time!

No comments:

Post a Comment